This is a staple at my house! So yummy and so good for you. It contains most of the ingredients from the ‘Ancient Flu Soup’, said to keep the flu away. There are a few tasty ingredients added to this version, and you should have it tonight!
It is very simple to make and can be eaten right away, although I find it gets tastier the longer it simmers and tomorrow it will be even better!
You’ll have to forgive me – the photos were taken with my phone as I was cooking tonight!
- 8oz Chicken Breast cubed
- Juice and zest of one lime plus wedges
- 1 clove of garlic (if you know me, you know that means 2)
- 2 tbsp Thai red chili paste
- 2 stalks of lemon grass (remove outer leaves and cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 Nerdle of ginger cut into thin slices
- 1 tsp Nam Pla (fish sauce)
- 8 Mushrooms (I use Crimini – I’m not much of a meat eater and these babies are hearty)
- 1 L Chicken Broth
- 1 or 2 cans Coconut Milk – I LOVE coconut – your choice
- Green onions sliced
- 1 bunch of cilantro coarsely chopped
Place cubed chicken into a pot and cover with lime juice and zest. Let sit for about 20 minutes.
Add Garlic, Ginger and Lemongrass, stir and simmer on low/med for 10 minutes.
When chicken is close to cooked add mushrooms, Chili Paste, Nam Pla and Chicken Stock. Bring to a low boil.
Simmer for 20 minutes and add the coconut milk and cilantro. Keep on heat until soup is hot again. Try not to bring it to a boil as the coconut milk may start to separate.
Serve with green onion and a lime wedge!
I eat around the chicken and my son steers clear of the mushrooms… it’s a win-win! …and a healthy one at that!